Here, please find resources for my workshops at MACUL 2018 on March 8.
Thursday, 10:00 – 11:00
From Texting to Teaching: Grammar Instruction in a Digital Age
[googleapps domain=”docs” dir=”presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vSRfKmjBS1ZVAvoaNfJNFBXTEhFLjVr-HmilvYw2FszJaZbrP3PwPRgPJtLPhSnRNLDyRcO0dYRoerH/embed” query=”start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000″ width=”640″ height=”389″ /]
Studies about Grammar
Tech Tools for Future Use in the Classroom
- Fake Text Messaging – http://www.ios7text.com/
- Grammar Slam Template – goo.gl/TxaXa4
- Padlet – padlet.com
Books by Troy and Jeremy
Additional Reading Resources
- Burke, J. (2001) “Developing Students’ Textual Intelligence through Grammar.” Voices from the Middle, Volume 8. Number 3. Pages 55-61.
- Graham, S., & Perin, D. (2007). Writing next: Effective strategies to improve writing of adolescents in middle and high schools. New York: Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- Turner, K. H. (2012). Digitalk as Community. English Journal, 101(4), 37–42.
- Turner, K. H., Abrams, S. S., Katíc, E., & Donovan, M. J. (2014). Demystifying Digitalk The What and Why of the Language Teens Use in Digital Writing. Journal of Literacy Research, 46(2), 157–193. https://doi.org/10.1177/1086296X14534061
Thursday, 3:00 to 4:30
Renewing Revision: Teaching Targeted Peer Review
[googleapps domain=”docs” dir=”presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vSURL_Deuy0NZ8yuEh1-RQPoVqkVMZwRcJOVBUZwR46FkP5jBXtXay4wRbLB_nQBpDHlgWM5TnvnqA7/embed” query=”start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000″ width=”640″ height=”389″ /]
- Wray’s RISE model for offering meaningful feedback (Reflect, Inquire, Suggest, Elevate).
- Emily Wray’s “Five Minutes of Fame” Talk about the RISE Model
- What Research Says About Driving Growth for Writers With Practice, Feedback and Revision by Troy Hicks
- In what ways does feedback help keep students engaged in their relationship to the content, the instructor, and one another?
Resources to Try
- Audio Feedback
- Voxer (iOS and Android)
- Voxer Versatility: New Ways to Communicate by Brian Sztabnik
- Explore how educators are using the Voxer app – #eduvoxers – by UPenn GSE
- Also consider:
- Video Feedback
- Screencastify (Chrome)
- Also consider
- Written Feedback