In the preface, we outline our stances toward teaching writing:
- A stance of invitation, in which we welcome writers into genuine inquiry around texts and topics of their choosing;
- A stance of encouragement, in which we strengthen writers through sustained feedback aimed at improvement;
- A stance of celebration, in which we honor writers when they take risks, try new writing techniques, and make their work public.
We reference two foundational documents:
- Council of Writing Program Administrators, National Council of Teachers of English, & National Writing Project. (2011, January). Framework for Success in Postsecondary Writing.
- National Council of Teachers of English. (2016). Professional Knowledge for the Teaching of Writing.